Home Alone but Gettin’ it Done

So far this week I feel like I have accomplished quite a bit.    Each day I’ve checked off items on my list that I wanted to get done.    From cleaning (those things I put off eternally) to reading one magazine a day.  I had a stack of 11 magazines just waiting for me.   So this is how I forced myself to read…..


I also spent some time with the horses.  The weather has been in the low 70s and just beautiful.  After working Durango a little,  I actually rode him bareback in the round pen.  Let me tell you – that is HUGE for me.  But both of us did very well.  I couldn’t figure out how to get a picture of it, so you’ll just have to look at this picture and imagine me on his back.

Then I found ‘crud’ on the back of one of Banjo’s hooves.  This was the medical term I used to describe it to the vet.  So Shawn (my new favorite vet – BVF) came out to the barn.  Turns out Banjo  had cut it and it was healing poorly (Hence, the crud).  After cleaning it up – this is what we have:

Now I am supposed to change this bandaging every 3 days.  I can guarantee 2 things:  I will re-bandage it every 3 days,  and it will not ever look like this.


I had to go into town, so of course the whole crew rides along.  I cannot believe how intense Jake is.  He never takes his eyes off the road.


Then there is Gus:

At night when I have my snack of carrot sticks, this is my view:

Why do they love carrots so much?


This morning before I left for my run, I went out to the barn to let the horses out to the pasture.  Hmmm, I didn’t see them in their corrals.  When I opened the barn door,  this is what I saw!   I had no idea it was “All you can eat Wednesday buffet”

I have been very good about running each day.  Only between 2-4 miles , but at least I’m out there.

Some baby ducks that were sooo tiny.  I guess they don’t have to learn how to swim; but do they have to practice turning?

This morning I ran on one of Sheridan’s pathways for a little over 3 miles and then treated myself to breakfast at the coffee shop.   Now I could get used to this.

I may have mentioned that I dabble (that’s about all I can say) in pottery.  Patient Husband bought me my own pottery wheel and kiln about 2 years ago.  I have never turned the kiln on!  I usually would take anything I made to the pottery classes I went to and had them fired there.   So on my to-do list was to finally use the kiln.

It is very intimidating to say the least.  It is an older version, so no computerized, auto display on this baby.   My sister gave me the great idea to watch a youtube video.  Perfect!

So today I loaded it up with my collection and started ‘er up.  It takes 8 hours.  Tomorrow I will look and see what I have produced!


I have two new podcasts that I am listening to.  One is called ‘Marathon Training Academy”.  Each episode is very interesting and although they are about running, they cover a ton of interesting subjects.   The other is called ‘Someone Knows Something’, series 2.  It’s a true-crime mystery.

As I sit here, Jack is trying to tell me it’s bedtime.


We are on the downside of the week.  Oh and I am still on baby call.  Amanda has been sentenced to bed rest for the remainder of her pregnancy (2 more weeks).  My bag is packed and I’m ready to hit the road as soon as she calls.

If you would like a morning chuckle about treadmills, go HERE.

Have a great Thursday.

One step at a time,



2 thoughts on “Home Alone but Gettin’ it Done

  1. When we hatched ducklings, they were dried out and “fluffy” within 12 hours. Within 24 hours, we put them in the bathtub – they were able to swim not only instantly, but proficiently, and they loved it. They would “submarine” – actually go under the water at one end of the tub and swim under water all the way to the other end of the bathtub. At 24 hours old!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *