Preparations and Pre-race Jitters

I am home and I have survived another half marathon!  I will give you a raceday recap tomorrow, but now we will go over the ‘day before raceday’.

Saturday’s drive was just over 3 hours to get to Deadwood South Dakota.  It there ANY highway in this country that isn’t under construction?


But the weather was beautiful and soon I was pulling into historic Deadwood.


My first stop was my hotel.  It was 12:30 and check-in was 3:00.  I smiled my best and spoke sooo sweetly.  Nope.  Come back at 3:00.  So I headed over to the packet pick-up and expo.


It was very organized and soon I had my goodie bag, and t-shirt.  Then over to the expo.  Patient Husband thinks I have every item ever made for runners, but he is oh-so-wrong.

This picture is blurry because I am running around in pure heaven and can’t slow down for a picture.



Then, when I looked, picked up and touched everything for sale, I headed back to the streets of Deadwood.


I was starving but all I could find were steakhouses inside the casinos, and then alas – a Dairy Queen!  To be honest, I have never bought anything at DQ except blizzards so this was a first.  Their quesadillas were yummy.  And an itty-bitty water.  Apparently water is too expensive to give me a normal cup.  But still must keep hydrating.   No ice cream – that is my reward after the race.



Finally, 3:00 !  I got into my room and started unpacking and laying out my clothes for the race.  It took up the whole bed!


Apparently my lens was set to ‘continuous blur’.

I was just starting to relax and finding something on tv to watch when there was a knock on the door.  I do not like knocks on my hotel room door.  And why are those little holes so hard to see through??  Anyway, she announced “Turn-down Service”.  I opened the door and I was given a thank you card for staying at the hotel and these two delicious chocolates.   How did they know this was exactly what I needed?


I set two alarms for 4:15 a.m. and was asleep super early.  Race mornings come very quickly.

By the way, my nephew ran 50 miles today.  Yes 50 miles.  How unbelievable is that.  Somehow my 13.1 miles won’t even seem like a warm up to him.   Way to go, Michael!!

I hope your Saturday was more relaxing but maybe just as momentous.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *