It’s been a couple of difficult days. It started with a big disappointment yesterday when the sale of our North Carolina house fell through. Tears. I got up this morning for work and headed down the road around 6:15 a.m. I didn’t even see the deer until it collided with my car. The deer apparently won this feud because he lived and yet the front corner of my car is destroyed. More tears.
So needless to say I was in quite a funk. I got outside and did work around the barn and corrals for over an hour. It didn’t really make me feel better but it did make me work up a sweat. For the entire time, the dogs were running and playing and getting exhausted. Good plan, huh?
I wasn’t this cute
When I got inside, they slept and slept. I may have too.
A few weeks ago, I saw some Valentine compression socks by ProCompression. I had to have them. I was on a mission but couldn’t find them for sale anywhere. In my mad desperation I sent an email to customer service at ProCompression. That’s where I met Kara. Kara began a search but lo and behold they were sold out. Darn. Then, last week I get an email from Kara that she had found a pair for me!! How’s that for out-of-this-world customer service? Today I have them in my hot little hands or should I say feet.
I told you I was going to try a workout called “The Full Body Dumbbell Workout”. I like this idea because I hate lifting weights or using weight machines. I know, I know its very important but I much prefer doing other types of workouts. I really like the idea that its just dumbbells. Everyone has a set hanging around in their closet. Anyway, I did it. Its tough. I used 5 lb. weights (yep go ahead – make fun) and also a 10 lb. weight. Here is the workout with my comments/suggestions. Do a set of 15 of each and then repeat 3 times. I’ll admit I only did it 2 times.
- Plank Hammer Curls. Assume the plank or pushup position with a dumbbell in each hand, palms facing each other. Raise the right dumbbell toward right shoulder and then lower. Repeat with other arm. This is one rep. This is really hard for me!
- Lateral Shoulder Raises. Stand holding weights in each hand. Raise both arms up and out to the side to approximately shoulder level. Lower back down. This is one rep.
- Dumbbell Reverse Flies. With a dumbbell in each hand, bend forward so your back is parallet to the floor. Raise the dumbbells up and out to your sides (this is just like No. 2 except you are bending forward).
- Tricep Extensions. Hold one heavier dumbbell in both hands (this is where I used the 10 lb. one) Lift the weight over your head while raising up on your toes. While lowering your heels, lower the dumbbells back until your elbows are at a 90-degree angle behind your head. Keep your biceps close to your ears. (This is really great for those triceps).
- Squat to Shoulder Press. Hold a pair of dumbbells at shoulder level and stand with feet hip-width distance apart. Squat down by bending your knees and flexing your hips back, keeping your back straight. As you rise, press the weights up overhead until your arms are fully extended. (This is one rep) (I have to admit I have to be very careful of squats because of my knees, so I didn’t do very many of these).
- Standing Core Rotation. Stand holding one heavier dumbbell with both hands, arms straight out in front of you at shoulder height. Keeping arms stable and hips facing forward, use your core to twist to the right, back to center, then to the left and back to center. (This is one rep)
Now 15 reps, 3 times is your goal. You may have to use lighter weights and you may only be able to do 10 reps. Just do what you can.
Tomorrow is supposed to be beautiful. More time with the animals and hopefully a run.
Live your dream everyday.